Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hop Along - Is Something Wrong?


Genre: Indie/Folk Stuff
Sounds Like: The girl version of Marty Anderson.

This past July, I found myself at a party in a tiny house, after some local punk show.

The apex of the evening was close, with a good amount of people circling around the house, and the interesting conversations were where the empty beer bottles stood on end tables and along couches. Separate music was playing in different parts of the house. In the back patio Montell Jordan's "This Is How We Do It" was playing and inside the kitchen was something that made my ears prop up, intrigued by the singer's delicate voice. No one else around noticed it, and sat down to listen to the randomly selected song. the computer screen from which it was played read "Hop Along" and I was instantly charmed by her innocent and youthful vocals.

Okay now onto the actual music.

Hop Along has a few releases (from what I can tell), Freshman Year emphasizes more of the folky-pop cuteness aspect of the band while Is Something Wrong? still maintains the pop, but is more ominous and looser sounding then the later. It could be due to the fact I am a huge Marty Anderson/Dilute fan, but I am sucker for high pitched, wispy vocals that are backed by frantic drums and frail guitar riffs. When listening to this album, I suggest starting with the song "Cow Eyes". It was the first song I heard and was instantly hooked. Do the same.






No comments:

Post a Comment