Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Don Caballero - What Burns Never Returns

Genre: Math Rock
Sounds like: Battles, Hella

So I decided to start a blog. One of the perks of being unemployed is that you can sit around and listen to music all day. We'll see if this thing gets any direction over time but in an effort to not just rip off the few other places that I get most of my music, I've decided to post my favorite album that I don't really see other places. Yes, the great Don Cab. Math rock pioneers. The best thing to put on your stereo at a party when you want everyone to stop having fun and leave.

What is there to say about this album? Like good jazz, this album makes you really work to find the melodies. On first listen most songs sound like all the musicians got together and started playing everything randomly. Repeat a few more times and it becomes catchy. Eventually it'll become beautiful. The whole thing just lives off the tension between the guitars and drums with the best songs usually finding a stone-cold locked groove about halfway through. Basically this band popped my math rock cherry and these guys are still some of my favorite musicians ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment