Saturday, October 29, 2011

Bygones - by-

Genre: Math Rock, Psychedelic
Sounds like: Tera Melos, Hella, Lightning Bolt
Listen 

One day I heard that my favorite drummer (Zach Hill from Hella) and one of my favorite guitarists (Nick Reinhart from Tera Melos) formed a band and then my mind exploded. This is basically the math rock equivalent of Tupac and Biggie coming back from the dead and releasing an album together. My expectations ran high for several months and this did NOT disappoint. The guitar playing is ridiculous and Reinhart pulls crazy riffs out of nowhere while Zach Hill goes predictably insane on drums. Unlike a lot of math rock the songwriting on this is very tight and focused with some good hooks and nice catchy choruses. Unlike a lot of two-pieces the sound is very full and never gets boring with lots of effects wizardry and guitar freakouts to keep just about anybody interested.




No comments:

Post a Comment